Sunday, October 31, 2010

How short is too short?

So, I'm finished Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II. What a short game. I have a few challenges to do, but the game itself is finished. I could replay on a harder level or go back and chase some achievements - either or both of which I still might do. But for a single playthrough, IT IS SHORT!!! There's no multi-player or co-op play to extend the experience. I'm feeling a tad disappointed. And ripped off. Not just once, but twice. I bought a copy for myself and the boy. Fortunately, I traded in against them so I didn't feel the direct hit to the pocketbook for two copies... But still.

Games with short campaigns should have a multi-player component to it, like Halo: Reach, or Medal of Honor. Games without multi-player should have wicked campaigns. Mass Effect is a prime example. Or Fallout. Gears of War is the best of both worlds - a challenging campaign with both co-op and multi-player gameplay to really extend the experience. I miss the old Star Wars games - Knights of the Old Republic, the Jedi Knight series - Those games had real substance to them. We should get some free DLC just to make up for the tiny campaign. That will never happen, though. Lucas doesn't give anything away for free. A full price game needs a full price effort put into it.

If you're not a die hard Star Wars fan that must own a copy of it, then rent it. Or wait for it to drop in price. Or wait for it to be rebundled with all of the inevitable DLC which might make it worth the full price. Any way, it's not a $60 game. And with the large selection of new games out this holiday season, it's not like we're short of choices.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, now you tell me after I pre-ordered it and got the collector's edition. Oh, well. A short game means it will be easier for me to finish it.....once I finish playing the first one that is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I first thought your title was on the appropriate length of mini-skirts. I keep waiting for the line that "no skirt is too short". I think all you guys are a bad influence on me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you have to shave so that you can go out in public - and I don't mean your legs - then the skirt is too short. If it has accidently been mistaken for a belt, then the skirt is too short. If you walk past a stranger and hear a comment about "a full moon being out tonight", then the skirt is too short. Otherwise, it's fine.

    I had such high expectations for the game because I really enjoyed the first one. I paid full price for both Gears of War games and I don't regret either purchase. For the amount that those games were played, I most certainly got my money's worth. It just doesn't feel that way here. It just feels like there should be more to it. Some XBL arcade games for $10 seem like an absolute steal compared to the $60 this game cost. I might have to keep an eye out for a decent trade-in deal, and that says something because I NEVER trade or sell my Star Wars games. That is my curent level of disappointment.

    At the risk of sending out a spoiler, I've only seen the "light side" ending to the game (you have to make a choice) and it's screaming either TFU III or DLC to finish the story and bridge the gap between episodes III and IV. I don't know what the "dark side" ending looks like so I'll have to go back and replay that portion of the game (from what I've heard,tere are some inconsistencies there too). But if there is DLC, I'm really hoping for a significant amount of gameplay for a bargain price. Those of us who paid full price for this one deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The article is so informative on the worthwhile topic let me introduce you Forex Market awesome collection, hope you will keep posting good material.

    ReplyDelete