Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Kijiji

I have recently discovered Kijiji, a website where you can post and browse local classified ads for free. I always knew it was there but I've never really used it before. I used to always default to eBay when looking for anything I needed but had trouble finding locally. Like eBay, some things are terribly overpriced, but there are deals to be had if you take the time. I’ve managed to purchase a few under-priced games that were then quickly traded in for a decent profit. I also managed to pick up a wireless network adapter for a song. I also missed out on a couple of items because I didn’t find them in time. The inventory of ads changes constantly, so you have to act fast when the real good deals come along because they don’t last long.

Based on my success in purchasing a few things, I thought I would try my hand at selling. I have a lot of original Xbox games that I put up for sale in an effort to thin out my collection, as well as a few Xbox 360 titles that are collecting dust and have terrible trade-in values. The good part is that the service is free, so there is no cost in using the website. The bad part is that the service is free, so there is no cost in using the website. Free, it seems, is the key for bringing out everyone and their weird requests. Why not? It’s free.

I was contacted regarding a few of the games on the list but as of today, none have ever sold. People have wanted things at ridiculously low prices. Sorry, but I don’t give Black Friday deals. If the request is reasonable, I’ll entertain it. And my games are in way better shape then most of the ones found at the local Gamestop (I'm terribly appauled at how some people treat their belongings, but that's a whole other blog). People have no idea if the games are backwards compatible with Xbox 360. I'm not Wikipedia so do some homework before contacting me, please. People have asked for free games because they can’t afford them for their kids. If I’m not getting a tax receipt for my donation, then the answer is no. Someone wanted a $5 game on my list and asked if I would consider a trade. Seriously? For $5?

I have since pulled my ads from Kijiji because the headaches were not worth the few bucks I could have made. Maybe I’ll just have a garage sale in the spring. Until then I’ll continue to scan the ads from time to time in search of deals. Why not? It’s free.

2 comments:

  1. When I had to replace my stuff after the break in I LOVED shopping on ebay. I got a lot of games for less than what the insurance company paid me (sometimes a lot less). With some of that extra money I bought more games that I always wanted to try but didn't want to spend too much money on. Unfortunately I haven't tried those yet except for one (Darksiders). I admire your determine to "thin the herd" but I could never do it. You have flesh and blood children. My games ARE my children. I love 'em all and would never want to get rid of them (except GTA3 which bored me . . . or GRAW which I couldn't get past the training.... or maybe one or two more that I gave up for adoption......but they deserved it).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not necessarily "thinning the herd". It's more like keeping the herd manageable. With the batch of new games I purchased, the games I'm expecting for Xmas, and a new crop coming in the new year, my shelves are filling up but my wallet is emptying out. Some changes had to be made and my original xbox games were the casualty. I removed only a few 360 games that I'll never play again - and never really cared for since I bought them. But the rest are my original Xbox games. I kept 10 or 11 that are backwards compatible and are sentimental favorites, but the rest will be shown the door.

    I love eBay too, but my problem is my location. Some people don't want to ship to Canada from the United States for some reason. And some others have ridiculously high shipping charges, which makes some things cost prohibitive.

    ReplyDelete